Kate Northcott, LMFT
I am not accepting new clients at the present time. Feel free to email me if you would like to be on my 2022 Waiting List. Thank you!
I help my clients to experience the present moment as an alternative to the suffering that comes from rumination about the past or future. I take great pleasure in assisting clients to externalize problems and construct new ways to live life. This point of view complements Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, both of which emphasize the freedom that come from studying and changing (if desired) the links between thoughts and emotions. As a psychotherapist and artist, I honor focus, expansion, vision, creativity and intuition.
Therapeutic Approach and Specialties
My work is pragmatic, focusing on my clients’ immediate and long-term goals. Clients are able to reduce anxiety and depression and to manage their emotions in a more satisfying way by learning and internalizing new skills and points of view. I work from a collaborative point of view — my clients are the experts on their own lives and problems and I am a consultant who can assist them to solve those problems.[/wpcol_1half]
Problems and Diagnoses Treated:
I work with individuals who struggle with ordinary life problems and individuals with diagnoses that produce severe emotion dysregulation: Borderline Personality Disorder, Bi-Polar Disorders, Major Depression and Anxiety Disorders. I am an intensively trained DBT therapist, influenced by existential, Narrative and the T.E.A.M. Therapy approach, which is especially helpful with depression, anxiety, and relationship problems. I specialize in coaching and counseling individuals whose partners or family members struggle with Borderline Personality Disorder and severe emotion dysregulation.
I see clients for 50 minute sessions. I do both brief and long-term therapy, depending on client needs and presenting problems. Please consult my Policies page for more information about fees, insurance and scheduling. I AM CURRENTLY EXCLUSIVELY PROVIDING TELETHERAPY (VIDEO AND TELEPHONE).
Degrees and Training
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
- In practice since 1993
- DBT Skills Training Group Leader since 2001
- Co-Founder New Perspectives Center for Counseling 1993
- Administrative and Clinical Director, New Perspectives Center for Counseling 1993-2013
- Board President, New Perspectives Center for Counseling 2013-2018
- MA, Counseling Psychology, California Institute of Integral Studies
- Intensive training in Dialectical Behavior Therapy with Linehan, Koerner and Dimeff: 2001
- Numerous Behavioral Tech trainings, including: DBT Skills Training, Treating Anxiety Disorders in Multi-Problem Clients with BPD, Working With the BPD Client, Revised Emotion Regulation Skills, Exposure Procedures in DBT
- Professional training in Hakomi Counseling Practices
- Intensive T.E.A.M Training with David Burns, M.D.
- Intensive Gottman Couples Counseling Training with John and Julie Gottman
- Co-Leader, San Francisco T.E.A.M. Practice Group 2011-2015
- Member, California Associate of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT)
- Member, San Francisco CAMFT
- Trained Shamanic and Narrative Therapist
- MFA, San Francisco State University
- BFA, Sonoma State University
- Artist, dancer